Tuesday, February 20, 2007

I Hit a Scud

Another exciting night of action for the Jewish Community Center Fighting Crusaders last night.
And another night of Inner Game fun for me.

I hit a scud missile shot past the second baseman in my first AB, but in my second I swung at a bad pitch, swung too hard, and lifted a fly to the right center fielder.

"Damn."

Charlie (my inner critic) started in on me. I could feel the black ink being released into my system.

Here's what I noticed:

I threw ball one to the first batter I faced the next inning, and as I got the ball back what do you think my mind was on?

Yep.

The fly out.

"That was a stupid pitch to swing it," said Charlie and the feelings you'd expect I'd feel with a thought like that are just what I felt.

But like last week I was able to turn it around. Awareness is key. Most players get invaded by inner pirates that hi-jack their thoughts and emotions but aren't able to

You might say, well, this is almost exactly the same email he wrote last week: Tom fails, gets cr@p from inner demons, then rallies and does well.

To that I say, "Yes, it is."

And you'll get more like it. Because I'm talking about the principle element of the art of success not only in baseball, but in all aspects of life:

Being aware enough of your own thoughts to recognize when you're thinking in an ineffective way and then having the skills you need to turn yourself around and get back on track.
To get back to a "green light" as you Heads-Up Baseball and Confidence Conditioning owners know it.

Thoughts give rise to feelings which predispose us to certain actions.

When you're mad you tend to take certain actions. When you're happy you tend to take certain other actions. When you're frustrated you tend to take other actions, and so on.

We all fly out on bad pitches a lot in life and I want to keep getting better and handling that powerfully and I want to help others do the same.

Parent after parent after coach that I talk to after they join my Baseball Confidence Gym say they want their son/player to be better able to handle adversity.

They want success now, but also see the bigger picture.

They know that if they can help their sons learn mental skills now, through baseball, they will not just have better baseball careers, but better lives all around.

Some also see that listening and watching the stuff I teach themselves not only gives them confidence that they are talking to their son's about the right things before and after games, but they themselves benefit from the steady diet of good thinking coaching.

http://www.BaseballConfidence.com/Join.html

Think Well,
Tom

p.s. We lost the game 21-8. But I competed well and had a blast. I was able to focus on what I could control. If you want more control in your life or you want to help someone have more control and fun in theirs, join the Gym.
http://www.BaseballConfidence.com/Join.html

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home