Wednesday, April 25, 2007

A-Rod vs. College Pitcher

Doggone it!

I failed this weekend.

I was working with a college team and failed to get a particular pitcher to buy in to my ideas.

I wanted the pitchers to take a full deep breath before each pitch.

Having players not buy in is normal, but unacceptable to me.

When I talk to Ken Ravizza about it he says over the course of his mult-decade career working with baseball players that when speaking to a group, one-third will be really into it. One-third will be on the fence, and one third just won't buy in.

This is human nature. This is normal.

But I don't like it.

I get up this morning and see A-Rod hit two more dingers.
The man is unreal.

No player I know of is more into the mental game than he is. When I was with the Rangers he already had a guy he was working with.

They met for 15 minutes before EACH GAME to mentally prepare.

He would visualize what he wanted to have happen.

He would go out and sometimes it would go great, sometimes it wouldn't. But either way he'd be back at it the next day, visualizing to prepare himself to play.

He knew -- and knows to this day -- that mentally preparing himself using the best techniques in sport psychology gave him his best chance of being successful.

His struggles in the play-offs are well known. How to account for that? I don't know. He's a complicated guy, most of us are (Pete Rose isn't, as Baseball Gym members have heard), and a lot of factors come into play.

What I do know is that despite all the cr*p he had to deal with last year, he's answered with the best HR start ever.

I'm pumped for him. He's a walking billboard for the power of the mind.

Now back to this weekend.

Talking to a pitcher after my presentation on breathing. I had spent about 30 minutes going over how and when to breathe to maximize performance.

I talked about Clemens. I talked about every team in the College World Series.

We did a lot of breathing, so he experienced it. He said in the session he felt much more confident, calm and in control when he breathed that way.

I asked him if he was going to use it during his start, and he said "only if I need it."

Well, I'm not going to force a guy to use it. I can't.
Plus, he'd been successful and was reluctant to try something new.

That makes good sense.

But he proceeded to go out and stink. Pitched terribly.
Tight as a drum. Bad mound presence.

Not a deep breath to be seen.

He "needed it" before he ever got out of the bullpen.

Why wouldn't he take even one quality breath? Same as many other pitchers:

1) he may not remember. When rattled our brains shrink. 2) he may not be able to. When rattled our chests shrink. 3) he may be too stubborn.

The outing may have created a learning moment, where he'll give this a try. If his ego to still too strong he'll keep doing what he's doing -- and yet expect a different result.

So did I really fail? I don't know. It often takes time for guys to get into this.

It's a habit thing. It's an ego thing.

I and his coaches will keep dripping on him.

So the lessons?

A-Rod is totally into it. A college pitcher in a poor outing isn't.

There are many other differences between the two players, of course. But while we can't all have A-Rod's physical tools, we can do what he does to prepare his mind.

So players, try doing what Hall of Fame players do with their brains.

Coaches, the best way to go is simply work it in to your teaching. Make it part of practice.

You don't even have to talk about it as "mental game" stuff vs. "physical game." Just make it part of playing the game.

One of the most consistent comments I get on my stuff from baseball people is how they appreciate how it is worked right in to the fabric of playing.

Parents, learn the fundamentals of the mental game yourself so you can drip drip drip good thinking onto your sons.

And be patient. Some players buy right in, others it takes time.

Others never do.

You don't play well when you try to force things. You don't get players into it by forcing it on them.

Just keep dripping.

Tom
Dr. Tom Hanson

P.S. If you've read this far, it is a good idea for you to have a strong foundation in the mental game. Whether you use it on the field or use it to help someone on the field, having the knowledge and skills in my programs will propel you to your goals.

The best offer I've got is at
www.BaseballConfidence.com/Join.html

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

For me breathing is key. I breath in through my nose as I toe the rubber then exhale as I am looking in to get my sign. Then I take another breath in after getting my sign and exhale as I come set. The breaths put my mind at peace and lets my body flow with ease. This is something I learned once in pro ball. It must be awesome to be taught this at a young age. I hope kids are taking advantage of you and your knowledge. I know I am. Thanks.

April 26, 2007 at 9:47 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home