Wednesday, June 20, 2007

The #1 Key to Success is _________________.

I screwed up.

Twice.

---------------------------------------
Before I explain that, thank you to the many people who've written me in response to my question about coaching @12 year olds. I'm shooting a video Saturday and have some short answer, specific questions that I've added at the end of this email. If you work with @12 year olds, please respond immediately.
----------------------------------------

A week ago I congratulated a player on being drafted and I mentioned his dad's name instead of his. His dad is a dear friend and one of our planet's best people and I was excited for him, so he was on my mind.

Then I pledged to correct it the next day and forgot.

So first, congratulations to Steven Otterness on being drafted by the Reds. Great job of making your dream come true, Steven.

Steven has done things the right way. He's persisted. He's gotten great grades in a demanding pilot training program at Embry-Riddle, busted his butt for 4 years physically, and has turned himself into a top pitcher.

A professional pitcher. He's earned that title.

He's followed the #1 key to success.

The #1 key to success is to decide you are going to succeed.

For me, for sure, the key to my business success is simply my deciding that I will be successful and then taking action consistent with that belief.

I make mistakes. I do things that don't work.

But I know if I keep going, if I keep my vision at the forefront of my mind I cannot be stopped. Not by anyone or any thing.

Not as long as I take action consistent with that decision.

It can be different for a baseball player, in that his physical gifts may not be there to compete at the highest level.

But the only way for him to know whether he's been given enough is to decide he's going to make his dream come true and act consistent with that belief.

Many, many players are in the Major Leagues who had once been told they couldn't make it. Scott Brocious told me at every level he ever played there were more talent players than he. But he believed and he focused.

And kept going.

Winston Churchill apparently gave a 9 word graduation speech:

"Never give up.

"Never give up.

"Never give up."

That was it. Then he sat down. To say more would have muddied his message.

Irvine never gave up last night, that's for sure.

I used to think I understood this idea. I taught it.

And you might be thinking, "Yes, I know that."

But now I get it at a whole new level. And I'm willing to bet there are several layers of understanding still there for you to peal away.

And chances are with greater understanding of the mental game and expertly guided mental training you can peal them away and rocket yourself toward YOUR dream (you have one don't you?).

Invest in yourself at www.BaseballConfidence.com/Products.html

Tom
Dr. Tom Hanson

p.s. OK. Here we go you baseball coaching /parents of @12 year olds. I encourage you to be brief b/c it makes it easier for me and it makes you think more. It is harder to be concise than verbose.


1. What is your greatest challenge? (see if you can nail it in one sentence)

2. What should I be sure to cover? (list in bullet format)

3. What elements should the video and program have (e.g. short segments, kids talking, etc.)

Anything else you want to add:


Thank you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home